Vulnerability and authenticity are two hot buttons in podcasting and every other industry out there. To that end I was recently reading this great article by James Altucher about how to be a better writer. (It’s here, you should read it and then come back to this post…or read this post and then read his article).
And one of his suggestions is to share something no one else knows about you. So in this post I'm sharing things you don't know about me, 12 things in fact!
What does this have to do with show notes? Not a lot - on the surface. But it is an example of how to write and connect with people authentically: share yourself and be vulnerable.
You don’t necessarily have to share with others in this style but you do have to share yourself. And your show notes are another way to do so: share yourself and who you are as a person, what makes you you and no one else.
So find out a bit more about who I am:
1. I’ve done two copywriting apprenticeships. I’ve spent months writing copy for free simply to perfect the practice. And I still work on it today.
2. I’m from Wisconsin, I’m a Packers fan and I love cheese. I know it’s a cliche but I do!
3. I have a Master’s degree in Women’s Studies from University College Dublin in Ireland. It was amazing to live there for a year and Ireland will always be a special place for me.
4. I love NFL football. Sundays during football season are off limits for anything but football! And I’ve recently started playing in a fantasy football league again. 🙂
5. Growing up I wanted to be an archaeologist, a writer and a baseball announcer (the color person, not the analyst). My first writing gig was as a sports journalist for The Mayville News in my hometown of Mayville, WI.
6. In the inaugural season of Miller Park in Milwaukee I went to 13 (or maybe it was 14?) baseball games. Most of those I attended by myself simply because I wanted to see a game and the park was absolutely gorgeous.
7. I’m terrified of heights - and that’s why I took up rock climbing! I haven’t gone regularly in years but I used to climb at 5.7 level outdoors, 5.9b indoors.
8. My all-time favorite TV show is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. There’s not even a close second, I’m not kidding. I can practically quote every episode of the first four seasons (I didn’t like the last 3).
9. I’ve completed the entire Landmark Education curriculum from The Forum through to SELP, as well as the leadership program. I’m borderline obsessed with personal development. 😉
10. My sister is 11 years younger than me and my brother is 15 years younger than me! I adore them and miss them every day, they live in Wisconsin.
11. I brew my own Kombucha and have since January of 2015, I love the stuff. 🙂 I’m experimenting with adding fruit and juice to my home brews now.
12. I love Manhattans, and whiskey in general. It’s a newfound love of mine so if you have a brand of whiskey you love I want to hear what it is!
So now I'd love to hear from you - what is something few people know about you? And do we share any commonalities?! I'd love to hear from you!